Sunday, May 11, 2014

[Rant] My Thoughts on The Sims 4


So the fourth installment of the beloved Sims series was announced not that long ago, and is set to be released later this year. I for one, am really excited for it.

However, it seems like it's the trendy thing to do to just bash this game to the ground. Dozens and dozens of comments I've read and a huge percentage of them is about how the graphics are a step down and that they wanted a much more realistic-looking game, and how they even thought the sims looked uglier than they did in the past games. I was pretty appalled by all these critiques, so here's my take on it.

First of all, the graphics. It sickens me seeing how so many people aren't willing to give this game the time of day due to it's cartoony new design, but they don't realize how this is actually a really good thing. The developers wanted to make this game be able to run on lower end devices. I for one know firsthand that even the beefiest systems couldn't run Sims 3 + all the expansions smoothly in high graphic settings. They wanted to better optimize the game so it didn't run like crap.

And I don't even know what you guys are talking about, the sims are so much more diverse in this game. In the previous one, all my sims ended up looking the same, but the new CAS options clearly are much more intuitive and can allow you to create all different kinds of sims. Granted, they still didn't add height, which I was a little pissed over for a bit, but they had a valid enough reason so I eventually got over that.



Look how much better the sims look! And you can adjust and fine tune every single detail with just clicking and dragging on parts of their face and body. No more confusing or overwhelming sliders. It simplifies everything and makes creating sims seem more fun.


And as far as realism outside of graphics goes... Look, I don't know about you guys, but I play video games to escape reality. The reason I love the Sims series so much is because of all the unrealistic, kooky shenanigans you can do. Heck, I created an entire supernatural creature family in the third one! Making the Sims games be uber realistic would be a terrible idea, in my opinion, because that just sucks the fun out of it. Of course they should add touches of realism here and there, but the games are supposed to be ridiculous and fun. It's a game where you can let your imaginations go wild.

I've seen so many heavy, ruthless comments being made about this game already, and a lot of you don't even realize that all the footage and screenshots we've seen are from early stages of the game. It's not coming out until like, September or something. I'm pretty sure the developers are doing the best they can to make the end product awesome.

I'm not by all means a mega Sims fan, so much that I'd blindly like any type of Sims game ever released. No. There were many things in Sims 3 that I didn't like. The biggest problem was that it ran like shit, and my PC is not cheap. I'm really glad that this game will be better optimized and hopefully have little to no lags. Although I will say one thing. I'm not sure how this whole focus on emotions thing will play out. I'm on the fence about that as well, so I'm still not totally sure I'll love this game. But it looks fun enough, and not only does the CAS footage look fun but also building looks really cool. I love that you can grab already-built rooms and place them wherever you want.



I think a lot of you should calm down and not judge the game on its graphics alone. If you wanted an ultra-realistic looking game then prepare for your machine to get destroyed. They wanted to make gameplay the essence of this game, so if you choose to just focus on how it looks, then it's your loss. I for one can't wait to get my hands on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment